Avoca is a principal town in the Fingal Valley located 27kms from the Midlands Highway on the Esk Highway. Avoca serves the communities of Royal George and Rossarden.
Formally known as Camp Hill and St Paul's Plains, Avoca is a principal town in the Fingal Valley on the Esk Highway, 27kms from the Midlands Highway. Avoca is located at the junction of the St Paul's and South Esk Rivers, and serves the communities of Royal George and Rossarden.
John Wedge, surveyor and explorer, named the town in 1833, having been inspired by the Thomas More poem 'The Sweet Vale of Avoca'. Avoca's namesake is in County Wicklow in Ireland.
There are a number historic colonial buildings including the Parish Hall, the Union Hotel, and St Thomas' Church.
For more information please visit the following websites:
Council has established the Avoca, Royal George & Rossarden Local District Committee as a Special Committee of Council. Special Committees have also been established at Ross, Campbell Town, Evandale, Longford, Cressy and Perth.
The committee meets bi-monthly, key objectives are to:
Residents and representatives from community interest groups are invited to nominate for membership of the Local District Committee.
Membership appointment is for a 2-year term, the term of membership commences in July and concludes in June. Current membership expires at 30 June 2018.
The 106 year old heritage listed building houses the Avoca Museum and Information Centre (AMIC).
AMIC promotes the beautiful Fingal Valley region, to find out more about AMIC and Avoca - click on this link.